See my same profile at the ANU Website.
I completed my Bachelor degree in marine science from the Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Science, University of Riau, Indonesia in 1996. I hold a Master Degree of Science in Environmental Management from the School of Environment, Resources and Development (SERD), the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) in Thailand in 2001, having won postgraduate scholarships from the Government of Canada (CIDA/CUC) and the Ford Foundation Jakarta.
I have held the position as planner of Agency for Marine and Fisheries Research (AMFR), Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries(MMAF), Indonesia and has worked for the Directorate General of Regional Development – Ministry of Home Affairs (Ditjen Bangda Depdagri) for five years. I have been involved intensively in facilitating and supporting the planning and implementation of research projects on marine and fisheries as well as promoting institutional strengthening and facilitation processes on coastal zone management.
Highlighted Academic and Professional Achievements:
- Australian Development Scholarship (ADS) 2004-2009 to pursue PhD degree at the Australian National University.
- The United Nations – the Nippon Foundation of Japan Fellowship Program 2006/2007 by the United Nations Division of Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea (UNDOALOS) to conduct research on contemporary issues in marine and coastal management.
- The AII Grant by the Australia Indonesia Institute (AII) to conduct the 2nd Indonesia Next Conference.
- The International Centre of Excellence in Asia-Pacific Studies (ICEAPS) Grant to conduct the 2nd Indonesia Next Conference.
- Bank Mandiri Grant to conduct the 2nd Indonesia Next Conference.
- Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID) Grant, to conduct the 2nd Indonesia Next Conference.
- ASF Fellow 2002 – 2003 by the Asian Scholarship Foundation (ASF) to conduct the cross-regional research. 2002 -2003.
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (MA) Fellow 2003 by the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment Secretariat for involving with producing global and sub-global assessment report.
- The Ford Foundations Individual Grant. 2002 and 2000 – 2001 for Master Degree at the Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand and professional training course.
- The Asian Institute of Technology Partial Scholarship. 2001 for Master Degree.
- Research Assistantship of Canadian Universities Consortium (CUC) – Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA). 2001.
- The United Nations University – Asian Institute of Technology Fellowship for Short Training Course on Planning for Environmentally Sustainable Development in the Asia Pacific Region, September – October 1999.
- Riau University Talented Student (Mahasiswa Berprestasi), August 1995.
- Receiver of Scholarships Supersemar. 1993 – 1996.
- Third Winner of Scientific Papers Competition (LKTI) on Natural Science of University of Riau.
Professional Engagements :
- Interpreter at the Forth Joint Fiscal Management (JFM) Training, the Crawford School of Economic and Governance, the Australian national University, Canberra, Australia, November – December 2007.
- UNNF Fellow at the Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea (UN-DOALOS), Office of Legal Affairs, the United Nations, New York, USA. November
2006- February 2007.
- Visiting Research Fellow at the Environmental, Earth and Ocean Sciences (EEOS), University of Massachusetts Boston, USA. May – November 2007.
- Visiting Research Fellow at the Institute for Environment and Development (LESTARI) National University of Malaysia (UKM), Malaysia. September 2002 – March 2003.
- Head of Program Development Section, Planning Division, Agency of Marine and Fisheries Research (BRKP DKP), the Indonesian Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries (MMAF).
- Resource Planner/Coastal Zone Management Policy Officer at the
Directorate General for Regional Development (DGRD), Ministry of Home Affairs (MoHA),
- National Project Manager,Coastal Resources Management Project CRMP) and Coral Reef Rehabilitation and Management (COREMAP) Projects, Directorate General for Regional Development (DGRD), Ministry of Home Affairs (MoHA),
My research interests are in decentralised coastal management, community-based management and the co-management approach in coastal zone management.
In my current research I am focusing on the decentralized coastal zone management at local government level (kabupaten/kota) and comparitation the enabling and constraining factors that can make decentralized coastal zone management work at the local governments level.This research provide a systematic examination of the implementation and effectiveness of decentralization practice in Indonesia, by focusing on two study areas, Kabupaten Konawe in Southeast Sulawesi and Kabupaten Pangkajene Kepulauan in South Sulawesi, which are dissimilar on stage of development. These two kabupaten provided good settings to conduct case studies of the nature of decentralized coastal zone management.
- Indonesian Association of Graduate of Marine Science and Technology
- The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Society
- Marine Technology Society (MTS)
- The Coastal Society (TCS)
- Society for Conservation Biology (SCB)
- Head of Division for Education and Strategic Affairs, and Chief Editor TEROKA CENDEKIA, Indonesian Student Association of Australia (Perhimpunan Pelajar Indonesia Australia PPIA). September 2004 – September 2006.
- President of AIT Student Union. May – August 2001.
- General Secretary of AIT Student Union. December 2000 – April 2001.
- Class Representative of Urban Environmental Management Batch 2000. May 2000 – August 2001.
- Chairman, Marine Science Student Association (Himpunan Mahasiswa Ilmu Kelautan), University of Riau. 1993 – 1994.
- Chairman, Department of Academic Learning and Development, Student Senate of Faculty of Fisheries, University of Riau. 1993-1994.