National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health
ANU College of Medicine, Biology and Environment
Short-term Fellowship (8 wks, Asia-Pacific research-policy nexus program)
We are looking for an early career academic (or advanced PhD student) from the Asia-Pacific region with good basic skills that they would like to improve in:
- Qualitative research
- Understanding policy processes in the Asia-Pacific region
- Web-based communication and collaboration technology (discussion forums, wikis, collaborative file management, learning management software)
14 April 2009 – 5 June 2009
Full-time (35 hours per week, some nights and weekends)
$8,000 – $15,000 commensurate with level of training
The Fellowship holder will assist with conducting and analysing interviews with research leaders about providing research support for policy-making in selected countries in the Asia-Pacific region. She or he will work with these research leaders in developing cases studies for a report, using online communication and editing tools.
We are looking for someone with the following:
- PhD degree or equivalent related experience (current PhD students in late stages of candidacy will be considered)
- Nationality in one of the AusAID ALA Fellowship eligible countries (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, China, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Kiribati, Laos, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Nauru, Nepal, Niue, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Timor-Leste, Vanuatu, Viet Nam, Wallis & Futuna)
- qualitative research skills
- understanding of policy-making processes, especially in one or more of China, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Thailand
- Web-based communication and collaboration technology skills (discussion forums, wikis, collaborative file management, learning management software)
- Proficiency with office management software
- Well-developed oral & written communication skills in English
- Flexible availability (some nights, weekends)
- Interpersonal skills (one-on-one and groups)
The National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health in the ANU College of Medicine, Biology and Environment has been awarded funding from AusAID to run a program for researchers from six eligible countries in the Asia-Pacific on enhancing regional expertise and collaborations for providing research advice to policy makers. Seven public health and environment researchers from a range of countries in the Asia-Pacific region will visit The Australian National University for six weeks in April-May 2009. These researchers will participate in a program of self-directed, reflective and group learning to develop a policy brief based on their research and an action plan for implementing it. The Fellowship holder will provide assistance to this program.
Please email CV and letter outlining the required skills to Caryn Anderson, Integration Research Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org , 02.6125.5621) by 1 April 2009.