EarthTrends looking for a highly motivated and innovative person to play a significant role in the ongoing development and management of EarthTrends. The successful applicant will help to fulfill WRI’s mission of guaranteeing public access to information and analysis related to sustainable development and the environment. The internship is full time for a period of 3 months. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and we are looking for someone available to start as soon as possible.
Assist in the planning and maintenance of EarthTrends. More specifically:
- Perform directed research of environmental, social, and economic indicators drawn from over 60 international data providers in a thorough and detailed fashion.
- Write and edit technical notes associated with variables in the EarthTrends database.
- Work on summary analyses (text and graphics) of important conditions and trends (e.g., HIV/AIDS, GHG emissions, energy production) related to sustainable development issues.
- Regularly write and edit brief summaries of related news, publications, and data for posting on the EarthTrends homepage.
Applicants should be in pursuit of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or recent graduates. Knowledge of international environmental issues and an understanding of the role that scientific information plays in formulating environmental policy are preferred. Specifically, we are looking for:
- Strong quantitative abilities and experience in using statistics and math to interpret data.
- Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database software.
- Superior care and concern for detail.
- Ability to manipulate large data sets.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Knowledge of international geography and global environmental issues.
- An affinity for graphic design and data visualization is a plus.
Knowledge of HTML and/or computer programming is a plus, but not required.
Salary and benefits
$12-15/hr, commensurate with experience.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an environmental think tank that goes beyond research to create practical ways to protect the planet and improve people’s lives. Our mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment for current and future generations.
- People and ecosystems. Reverse rapid degradation of ecosystems and assure their capacity to provide humans with needed goods and services.
- Climate change. Protect the global climate system from further harm due to emissions of greenhouse gases and help humanity and the natural world adapt to unavoidable climate change.
- Markets and Enterprise. Harness markets and enterprise to expand economic opportunity and protect the environment.
- Access. Guarantee public access to information and decisions regarding natural resources and the environment.
- Institutional excellence. Support and enhance WRI’s ability to achieve results.
In all of its policy research and work with institutions, WRI tries to build bridges between ideas and action, meshing the insights of scientific research, economic and institutional analyses, and practical experience with the need for open and participatory decision-making.
WRI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is WRI’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability. WRI only accepts resumes for current vacancies.
Qualified applicants only.
Candidates please send cover letter and curriculum vitae/resume to: World Resources Institute
Attn: Samah Elsayed
10 G Street, N.E. (Suite 800)
Washington, DC 20002
Please, no phone calls.