What is Eco-Minds ?
The Eco-Minds forum provides youth participants with a unique opportunity to work within an international team to solve real-worlds problem of sustainable development through disciplinary approach.
New Zealand is the next country to host the Eco Minds forum, from 25 – 30 May 2009. the theme of the forum is a topic that is of growing importance to the world – sustainable energy system: challenges and opportunities.
Participant will be able to learn more about sustainable energy systems, including New Zealand`s hydro and geothermal supply systems. They will also look at some of the challenges around energy supply, such as climate change, and what practical solutions can be put in place to evercome such as challenges.
Nine countries from the Asia-Pacifik region will be presented at Eco-Minds 2009 in New Zealand, Philipines, India, Indonesia and China. The international background of the participants introduces a multi cultural dimension to the program.
Eco-Minds also bring together students from various discipline – science, technology, engineering, social sciences, economics and management. While the primary focus of Eco-Minds is on scientific and technological innovations, the solution-oriented group work also takes into account social economic and cultural factors at all stages.
The organizers: Bayer and UNEP
Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the fields of health care, nutrition and high-tech materials. Its products and services are designed to benefit people and improve their quality of life. Being a research-oriented company,Bayer encourages scientific innovation. Environmental protection and sustainable development constitute an integral part of Bayer’s corporate policy.
In Indonesia, Bayer fulfills its mission of helping to achieve lasting im¬provement in the quality of life of Indonesians through its core business¬es: Bayer HealthCare, Bayer CropScience, and Bayer MaterialScience.
The United Nations Environment Programme was established in 1972 as the voice for the environment within the United Nations. UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
Bayer is the first company in the world to partner with UNEP in environmental projects for young people. The partners began cooperating on youth environmental projects in Asia in the late 1990s. In 2004, Bayer and UNEP signed a framework agreementto globalize this partnership. The partners now jointly organize a dozen environmental projects for young people around the world.
Indonesian Youth for Eco-Minds
Bayer and UNEP are looking for three university students with a keen interest in Sustainable Development to represent Indonesia at the 2009 Eco-Minds Forum in New Zealand on 25 – 30 May, 2009.
Who Are Eligible ?
- Indonesian citizens currently enrolled in any university or college in Indonesia and taking up any of the following disciplines: Natural Sciences, Engineering/Technology and Social Sciences/Commerce/Management
- 18 to 24 years old by May 1, 2009
- Actively involved or have a strong interest in scientific projects or activities focusing on environmental protection linked to the conceptof sustainable development
- Good in oral and written English
- Willing to travel overseas
- Should be able to work well within a group
Entry Requirements :
Fill up the application form.
Briefly describe activities,studies and projects you have carried outand how they are related to sustainable development,including your role in these activities and related documentation.
Write an essay in approximately 1,000 words, identifying the environmental, social and economic aspects of an energy supply system in Indonesia,and discuss how you would match environmental aspirations against the practical realities of day-to-day needs,including improving standards of living.
- The entire application form must be filled up. Incomplete application form and entry requirements will not be processed.
- Essays and written requirements mustbe in English,typed on A4 paper,and 1.5 spaced. Handwritten or e-mail entries will not be accepted.
- Secure an endorsement from your university or college.
- Attach one 4 x 6 cm color photo.
- Attach a copy of your identification card (KTP/SIM)
- All applications and entries must reach PT Bayer Indonesia by: February 12, 2009.
- The Judges’ decision is final for all aspects of the search.
- Judging and Selection
- Applicants will be shortlisted based on the substance of the essay and his/her interest on sustainable development.
- Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by a panel of judges to ascertain their understanding of sustainable development and environmental issues, as well as their communication and people skills.
- The judges will then select the Top 3 winners who will representIndonesia in New Zealand.
- The Top 3 winners will be honored at a formal awarding ceremony.
All meals and travel expenses incurred will be paid by Bayer
Winners of 2009 Eco-Minds not in possession of a current passport should apply for one immediately (fee borne by the winners)
Passport should be valid at least six months before departure date
Please send applications and other requirements to:
PT Bayer Indonesia MidPlaza I, 12th floor
Jl. Jendral Sudirman Kav. 10 11, Jakarta 10220
Entries must reach Bayer by:February 12, 2009